Just a quick note to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!
Sunday, November 21, 2010
I am thankful for...
8. the smell of clean floors and a clean house
9. precious dear friends coming to visit us...we miss you Sullivan family!
10. pumpkin scones fresh from the oven
11. those men and women who sacrifice so very much for our freedom
12. talks with friends late into the night (and a girls weekend!)
13. beginning the day in front of a fire with friends and a cup of tea
14. Sunday morning snuggles as a family
and this past week:
15. helpful neighbors
16. a kind and unexpected gift
17. peace in the midst of the unknown
18. a special lunch just with my daughters
19. finding a friend with whom you share so many "little things" (as well as big things) in common
20. the excitement of completing a big project
21. the desire of a little boy to give to others
Colossian 3:16 (above in the picture) is a verse that I will pondering this week...that I hope to be living out this week...that I plan on memorizing this week as a family...this week that we gather together to be thankful.
Sunday, November 07, 2010
I've seen lots of "thankful" posts around the internet lately. And then I stumbled across an old acquaintance's new blog. (a very happy surprise!) Scarlet has a 30 days of gratitude project on her blog, and I thought I would join in.
My plan is to post each Sunday with seven things I'm thankful for from the previous week.
I am thankful for:
1. Soup and sweater weather. The chill in the air that lets me know summer is over. Winter is on the horizon. But for now, the weather is perfectly ideal.
2. Finding new dinner recipes that make everyone in the family happy. And making some forgotten favorites new again!
3. Conversations with old friends and new friends that seem like old ones. :) So thankful for the blessing and gift of friendship.
4. Hadleigh's excitement over being able to read the first page out of a book she picked off her shelf. She is really catching on...and learning so much.
5. Seeing my little boy enjoy things that his Daddy loves...like woodworking. They built a pirate ship together (a kit from Lowe's) in the midst of Daddy's big project...a hutch for my scrapbooking desk.
6. Handfuls of the last of summer's flowering weeds from Madeleine. Showing her how to preserve them by pressing them between the pages of a favorite book of poetry.
7. The blessing of a gifted pastor and teacher of God's Word. A lot to think about from this morning's sermon on Psalm 25.
Saturday, November 06, 2010
It never fails...just as November begins, our mailbox fills with holiday catalogs. (The above is what was collected in about 10 days. And these were just the ones I saved to flip through.) Clothing...decor...craft/toys/educational stuff. I like the ones that give me ideas for decorating with things we already have and love (like Pottery Barn/Ballards)...and ones that inspire me by their design and styling (like Garnet Hill and Anthropologie).
But aside from enjoying the ideas, I think the companies need to slow down a bit. One store catalog for the season is just enough for me, thank you.
And of course, the autumn (and December) magazines are my favorites of the year. Magazines full of rich colors, beautiful table settings, and delicious comfort foods entice me every year. I enjoy getting my favorites in the mail...Southern Living, BH&G, and Victoria...but this is the season when MS Living and Real Simple get some of my attention too.