Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January plays games.

Outside my window, the sun is shining. It's actually nice.
No need for a jacket today.
The girls are in dresses and no tights or leggings. (They're a bit happier that way!)

Just from looking outside, you'd never guess that all of Oklahoma is bracing for a winter storm to hit sometime during the night.

And wouldn't you know? We have company coming into town tomorrow. Not sure how that drive to the airport is going to look.

But I'm thinking through how I will cook the meals I am planning if we lose electricity.

I'm thinking how we have almost no firewood left and how scarce it is to find here.

I'm thinking that we should have lots of baked goods on hand...like the Irish Creme Chocolate Chip Pound Cake I'm planning to make...or these delish caramel brownies:

Baked goods won't go bad if the power goes out. :)
That seems like sound logic, right?

You should make these. They are so ooey-gooey yummy. They are great cold. They are good room temp, and they are good warmed and served with vanilla ice cream. I bet dulce de leche would be amazing too. And if you can't find a box of caramel cake mix, a yellow cake one works just fine.

Caramel Walnut Brownies

1 14 oz package caramels
2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided
1 package caramel-flavored cake mix (Duncan Hines)
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups walnut halves or pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap caramels and place in a medium saucepan. Add 1/3 cup evaporated milk and cook over low heat until melted, stirring often. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Combine 1/3 cup evaporated milk, cake mix, and next 3 ingredients; stir until blended. Spread half of the dough into a lightly greased nine-inch square pan. Chill remaining dough. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
3. Pour caramel mixture over brownie. Sprinkle with walnuts. Divide chilled dough into 9 portions; pat into three-inch circles. Overlap circles over walnuts in pan.
4. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool completely. Cover and chill before cutting.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Wish I could send you some firewood. Looks like I will be looking at it all summer! Oh, I have been resisting my urge to make brownies. You just pushed me over the edge :)

amy said...

good- put the recipe on there but no info on calories or fat content. ;0 ha! those looks sooo good!

lisa dickinson said...

um, YUM! i am so trying these out!

Sasha Farina said...

i hope you won't lose electricity. and i want whatever you're baking, okay? okay. :)

Denise said...

Oh my gosh...you just knew I was craving brownies, didn't you? I think I want to move in with you and your family. I will trade babysitting for treats. LOL!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs