to make this yummy dessert. It would be perfect for New Year's Eve. Or New Year's Day.
Or any day, really.
Peppermint Ice Cream Cake. It's pretty easy to put together...just make it with enough time ahead to chill for several hours.
A few hints from me:
1) If you have three 8-inch cake pans, do step 5 earlier, so that freezer times line up.
2) If you can't find peppermint extract during Christmastime at your grocery store (because everyone else has beat you to it), your hobby store (Michael's/Hobby Lobby, etc.) should have Peppermint Oil in the candymaking section. It is more potent...so use less than suggested.
3) To make lining pans with wax paper easier, trace the bottom of the pan onto wax paper and then cut out. It should fit well.
Peppermint Ice Cream Cake
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 cup boiling water
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups peppermint ice cream, softened
3 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1/8 tsp. peppermint extract
8 peppermint candies, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (8 inch) round cake pans. Line bottom of each pan with wax paper.
2. Combine cocoa, water, and butter in a bowl until blended. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Combine sugars in a large bowl, stirring until blended. Add egg substitute. Beat 2 minutes until light and creamy. Add cocoa mixture, and beat one minute. Combine flour, powder, soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to bowl and beat one minute until blended. Stir in vanilla.
4. Pour batter equally into pans and bake for 28 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans (and wax paper from cake bottom) and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
5. Spread ice cream in a cake pan lined with plastic wrap. Cover and freeze for four hours.
6. Assemble cake by placing ice cream layer in between the two cake layers on a cake pedastal.
7. Combine whipping cream and peppermint extract. Stir until blended. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Freeze until ready to serve. Let cake stand at room temperature 10 minutes before slicing.
All that's left to do?