Friday, July 23, 2010

This is just to say...

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

~William Carlos Williams

I can't help but recite that poem whenever I see or taste a plum. It was one of my favorites to read to students...they were always surprised by it's origin (William's apology note to his wife).They would say, "That's a poem???" But it always began a good exercise in writing.

The other day, we stopped by a roadside fruit stand and selected some plums, as well as tomatoes and a watermelon. We enjoyed them later that night for dessert, and yes, they were so cold and so sweet.

Don't you love local produce? I do. And though I really have no knowledge of where plums grow (or if they're even grown in Oklahoma), I was quite amused by the single plum whose "California plum" produce sticker had been overlooked by the owners of the roadside stand. In their defense, the tomatoes were amazing and undoubtedly local. I think. :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh, love that poem. :) And nothing beats local produce!! Up here in BC we have cherries and berries galore popping up and I just want to stop by our corner fruit stand everyday and scoop up more. :) yum!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs