- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter (we used a substitute)
1. Place steel-cut oats and butter in a large bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over the oats and butter. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together pumpkin, milk, and vanilla.
2. Melt butter in saute pan. Slice bananas and toss gently with brown sugar and cinnamon. Saute quickly and gently over medium high heat (60-90 seconds). You don’t want to have soggy bananas. Pour into a 9-inch baking dish.
3. After 20 minutes, stir in the old-fashioned oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and pumpkin mixture. Pour oats over bananas. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and brown sugar.
4. Bake at 350 degrees 35-40 minutes, until the center is set.
5. Serve warm with milk or cream, if desired. A dollop of whipped cream might be nice. (And I couldn't help but think of adding vanilla ice cream. But that would be dessert, wouldn't it?)