Friday, March 16, 2012

Warmer Days


I think they just might be here to stay.

The 10-day forecast doesn't have a high below 64 degrees...(except for one day of 59 degrees and that day looks rainy so it doesn't count because I love cozy rainy days.)


And while I still might be wearing jeans, my sandals have definitely made an entrance back into my life. Whew. I love my sandals.

New this spring is my use of Essie nail polish (or toe paint polish as Madeleine calls it).  I have long been a wearer of OPI polishes...but I saw this color (a perfect pinky-orangeish-red that is wonderful) and thought I'd give it a try.

So glad I did. Love the way it applies, it dried pretty quickly, and I think I already mentioned that I love the color.  (I think "jag-u-are" is the name.)

So I think OPI is going to have to share a spot on the shelf with Essie from now on.


And on a completely different note (but still red & a resident of warmer days), some strawberries.

I noticed on Pinterest that rinsing strawberries in a vinegar rinse kills and spores that cause your berries to go bad so quickly.  And since I almost always throw away icky berries before we finish a carton, I tried it.

And y'all, it totally works.


I soaked a large carton of strawberries in a solution of apple cider vinegar (white vinegar works too) and water for about 5 minutes. (1/2 cup vinegar, 2 1/2 cups of water)  I rinsed them with clean water and then placed them on towel to dry.  When dried, return to the clean carton or a bowl and keep in the refrigerator.


Last time I did this, they were still going strong a 10 days after I bought them.  I read that they can last past two weeks...though berries never last that long in our house.

I'm so happy to have learned this tip before berry season...

Toe nail polish and strawberries. Who knew?

But they both make me smile!

4 comments:

Jette Gad said...

Oh spring is in the air-Nice to read this happy post... And those Essies-once you try you get addicted... It even comes in the most wonderful yellow summer color-I have used them for years...

Jen Kershner said...

You are so full of great wisdom today. I'm happy to follow all of your advice. Your toes are making me happy I have a pedi scheduled next week!

Jen Kershner said...

I can't seem to email you for some reason. Here's a link to the cupcake stands. http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Cupcake_Stand_-_Set_of_6/440/

Emma and I have plans to use them as much as possible!

Jennie M said...

really!? we adore strawberries, but I like to stock up when they are a good price. this would be awesome. thanks for the tip.

AND, I'm loving essie's colors!!!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs