Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Pies sound good right now

Even though the temperature doesn't welcome autumn yet, it is October (my favorite month!) and all sorts of pies (and soups) sound yummy to me. I made cinnamon apples last night to go with our dinner (ahem...sadly, I cooked them a tad bit too long) and when I came home from visiting with friends last night, the house smelled like apple pie. Which made me wish for this apple pie I shared last fall! I'm craving all the warm cozy comfort that pies offer--both sweet and savory.

So I thought I'd share this savory (and easy) pie recipe today. My children are not picky eaters, but it is rare when both of them can finish their meal more quickly than Brent and I--especially Brent! So this is a hit with my little ones...hopefully yours too!

Shepherd's Pie

1 22-oz. package frozen mashed potatoes (I've used from-scratch mashed potatoes too)
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup frozen sliced carrot, thawed
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 cup beef broth
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheddar

1. Cook potatoes according to package and set aside.
2. Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes, until beef is browned. Drain and return to skillet; add carrot. Stir in flour, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Add broth and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Spoon into greased 11x7 inch baking dish. (I have also used a deep dish pie plate.)
3. Stir together potatoes, egg, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper. Spoon over beef.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, bake 5 more minutes.

Yields 6 servings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds oh so yummy! I wish that I could just pop over for dinner....but I will see you in 2 weeks !!! We continue to pray for little Nathanael and Hadleigh!
Much love to all, Mom

Anonymous said...

i'll dream of your baked apples and apple pie tonight. i always love it when you cook for me :) what a dear friend you are!

Jen Kershner said...

I love pie too and have been in a pie mood myself. I think it's a combination of the season and watching Pushing Daisies last week!

Anna said...

Yum! I'm going to print out this recipe and make it. I've enjoyed learning of your love for baking - hard to have known that at BU since we didn't have great kitchens, but I love it too!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs