We did the week after returning from North Carolina and our apple-picking adventure.
I wanted a crock-pot recipe, so that we could enjoy the smell all day...and for the ease during that post-vacation return to normal. I found several recipes online, combined a few of them, and this is what I came up with.
Hearty Spiced Applesauce
10 apples, I used a combination of Pink Lady and Granny Smith
1/4 tsp. vanilla
4 tsp. raw sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
1. Wash all apples well. Slice apples and cut into bite-size pieces. I used an apple corer/divider and left the peel on, to create a chunkier applesauce, but if you prefer, you can peel the apple. Place apples in the bowl of a crock-pot.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a small mixing bowl and pour over the apples in the crock-pot. Stir to coat, making sure to cover the cinnamon stick with apples.
3. Cook in crock-pot over low heat for 6-7 hours.
4. Remove cover from crock-pot and test apples; they should be soft and breaking apart. You can serve as-is, or use a potato masher to break the apples down further.
5. Delicious served warm or cold. Keeps refrigerated for one week.