About a month or so ago, I realized that I had never served quiche to our children! I grew up with quiche occasionally for dinner…and I had made them when we were newlyweds, but I was surprised when one of our kiddos asked me what a quiche was!
I found a recipe that I love…and tweaked it a bit (along with a sweet friend's piecrust recipe) to make it my own. I hope that you'll enjoy it just as much as our family! One thing I love about quiche for dinner is that it makes for delicious breakfast leftovers!
Ham and Onion Quiche
1 pie crust (recipe follows) Also delicious with store-bought pie crust.
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
6-8 oz. ham, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced thinly (I use what I have on hand: crimini, shiitake, baby bellas all work well)
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 oz Gruyere, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare pie crust according to directions below in a deep pie dish. Bake piecrust for 12 minutes, covered with foil; then bake for 5 minutes uncovered. Allow to cool completely.
3. In a saute pan, melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add all the onions to the pan, stirring occasionally until they begin to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes. Add in the ham, mushrooms, thyme and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8-10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Removed from heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk cream, eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, and nutmeg until combined. Stir in just over half of the grated gruyere.
5. Pour onion mixture onto the pie crust. Pour egg mixture over the onions and top with remaining cheese. Place the pie dish on a cookie sheet and bake until golden brown and set, about 40-50 minutes. (Start checking on the quiche around 35 minutes…but mine always takes longer to be cooked in the center.) Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 5-10 minutes, before serving.
1 c flour
1 c shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or gruyere, depending on quiche)
3/4 c chopped pecans
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/3 c oil
1. Mix flour, cheese, pecans, salt, and paprika together in a medium bowl. Add oil and stir well.
2. Press against bottom and sides of pie plate. Bake at 350 degree for 12 minutes. Cool completely.