For the last eight months, we've been enjoying being a part of Local Organic Moms. They deliver fresh (mostly local) organic fruits and vegetables (as well as some other items that we haven't ordered yet, like meats, eggs, cooking oils, etc.) in the Georgia area.
My favorite thing about ordering through LOM (besides the adorable crates the food comes in) is trying out new-to-me vegetables. Rutabaga? Check. Chard? My new favorite. Kale, bok choy, mustard greens. All new things we're trying as a family (and mostly loving!)
A few weeks ago, cauliflower was one of our choices and despite knowing Brent's disdain for the veggie, I decided to order some and try out a Pinterest recipe or two with it. They say it makes a great substitute for mashed potatoes, you know. (Still haven't tried that yet.)
I came upon a roasted cauliflower recipe that was an instant winner. As in, we couldn't stop eating it, Brent included. I've since adjusted the recipe to what I generally have on hand, and we have been adding cauliflower into our veggie rotation regularly. Sometimes we throw broccoli into this recipe too, since the kids still like it a little more than itswhite look-alike. :)
1 head cauliflower, trimmed at base
1 head broccoli
1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly and broken into rings
4-6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a sheet of parchment on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Using a large knife, slice cauliflower and broccoli in 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices, slicing from top down. Some pieces will break apart, some will stay in a "slice". Use all of it.
3. In a large mixing bowl, toss veggies and onions with olive oil. Place on prepared baking sheet. Add garlic and thyme to baking sheet.
4. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through and as needed, until the vegetables begin to brown nicely. Sprinkle cheese over vegetables and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes.
5. Serve immediately and enjoy!