Wednesday, September 05, 2007

September...

is upon us...and we've had slightly cooler weather since Monday! Yay!

Some other fun things about September that I just love:

--Pink Lady apples are again at the store! So delicious!

--I bought some of this today...Mom shared some with me last Christmas and it's just wonderful...but seasonal, so I'll be stocking up on it!!!

--My autumn wreath is hanging on the door and there is a lovely centerpiece on the table full of fall color!

--Today while driving, there were leaves blowing along the road. Of course, the leaves on the trees are still green and full...but these few leaves give me hope!

--Today, Hadleigh and I made a paper-chain with 38 links to count down the days until Madeleine arrives! (That's her name by the way! And we have a scheduled c-section, due to my previous two.) Hadleigh loved making it and it's hanging over her door, since the two girls will be sharing a room!

This past Sunday, in honor of September, I made a wonderful baked French Toast recipe that I'll share today! I really hope you enjoy it...it is simply delicious.

French Toast with Apple Syrup (It's from the Lone Star to Five Star Cookbook, by the Junior League of Plano, TX...a great cookbook!)

French Toast ingredients:

1/2 cup (i stick) butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 Tbsp. corn syrup

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced

1 loaf french bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick

5 eggs

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tsp. vanilla

1 tsp. nutmeg

Apple Syrup ingredients:

1 cup applesauce

1 (10-oz.) jar apple jelly

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. ground cloves

salt to taste

1. To prepare toast, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup in a small saucepan. Cook over low hear until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange apple slices in the dish and layer the bread over the apples.

2. Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over the bread. Chill, covered with plastic wrap, for 8-12 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

3. To prepare the syrup, combine all syrup ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is heated through, stirring constantly until smooth. Serve over French toast.

Serves 8. (reheats well in microwave for leftovers :)

6 comments:

RiNNE said...

Thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy! And your list of September faves is wonderful! Congrats and good-luck on your upcoming c-section! BTW, your daughters' names are beautiful!

Elisabeth said...

I am so ready for fall myself, but the weather just isn't cooperating here...over 90 degrees today!

Stacy said...

Yummy!!!! I am going to try that recipe.

I love fall too! Except it has been almost 90 all week!

Nicole said...

fall can't possibly get here fast enough...ugh =)

not sure where you live, but if you ever get the chance to buy Honey Crisp apples, they are THE absolute best...they beat Pink Ladies even!!

Hilary said...

I'm glad there is someone else out there who already has their fall decorations out.

And I love Madeleine's name...French...you know, she has a cookie named for her.

And I can't do the math...I know, I know, I was a math major, but what is the "scheduled" date of her arrival?

Shawna said...

Do you really cook like this all of the time? You amaze me, my friend. This recipe sounds amazing.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs