Tuesday, July 14, 2009

a couple things to get me started.

Whew. It's no secret that returning to blogland after a long vacation is not my forte! I feel like there's so much to share but no place to start...so I'll start back today--since we've been home for over a week--with a few favorite things from today! (And I'll be back tomorrow too!)
I'm wearing this shirt today and it's my new favorite go-to comfy shirt. It's SO soft...and the perfect color green for me. (Not so spearmint-y as the picture looks though.) Have I mentioned that I love Boden???

The kiddos and I bought cherries today. I love fresh cherries. There is something SO summery to me about cherries. Makes me think of picnic tables and checkered tablecloths and America. :) Oh yeah, and my old Mary Engelbreit "life is just a chair of bowlies" t-shirt from high school!

I picked these up today at the store too...and they're pretty good. A great idea (2 points for those WW people!) although I want to try some other flavors, as these are a tad too sweet (Can you believe it?!) for me. And to be honest, I picked them up first because I really loved the package design--love those two fonts together!

Oh. Did I mention the cherries? I don't like maraschino cherries. And cherry pie filling just doesn't thrill me. Brent's not a huge cherry pie fan, so I'm always curious as to what to do with the fresh cherries once I get them and we have our fill of fresh ones. I found this cobbler recipe a few years ago, and it was a hit with everyone! Hope you enjoy it too!

Cherry Cobbler

5 cups pitted cherries (3 lb.)
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp. sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1.5 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbsp. cold butter, cut in 1/2 " pieces
1 Tbsp. sugar mixed with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use a 9 inch pie dish with 2 3/4 inch high sides.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cherries, lemon juice, and sugar until well-mixed. Pour into pie dish. Bake 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk an dvanilla. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the flat beater attachment, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add butter. Beat on low speed until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Slowly pour in buttermilk mixture and continue to beat just until combined.
4. Drop dough by heaping spoonfuls onto fruit, spacing evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar evenly over dough.
5. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping browned, about 30-35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

2 comments:

Rita said...

I just bought those popcorn clusters too! Love the shirt!

Ally said...

What a great shirt - it looks so comfy!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs