Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Warmth.

When I think of a drink that warms you through, I think of a Chai Latte.  Warm, of course, temperature-wise.  But warm with spice too.  Soothing, smooth, and warm.

A Chai Latte was my "crossover" drink in college.  That and Frozen Milky Ways.  (I happily blame Common Grounds.) The drinks that made me venture from a strictly hot chocolate/hot tea drinker to actually enjoying coffee.  Because if I liked a tea that was a latte, surely an espresso-based latte would be good too, right?


But I digress.

Chai.  I've never attempted to reproduce a chai latte at home until recently, when a recipe in Southern Living this fall peaked my interest.  I altered their recipe a bit, as I really like a vanilla flavor in my chai...and I love frothed milk.

Chai Latte

4 cups milk
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
6 cardamom pods
1 star anise
1/4 tsp. whole cloves
1/4 tsp. black peppercorns
1 vanilla bean (or 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla)*
4 regular-size black tea bags
cinnamon and star anise to garnish

1.  Bring milk, cream, sugar, ginger, cardamom, star anise, cloves, peppercorns, and vanilla bean along with 2 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.

2.  Add tea bags and cover.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.  Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher.  Discard all solids.

3.  Pour a small amount of chai latte into a frother, until latte has doubled in amount.  Divide remaining latte between mugs, top each with some of the foamed chai.  Garnish with a dusting of cinnamon and a star anise.

Yields 7 cups.

*You could also substitute 1-2 tsp. vanilla syrup, stirring the syrup into the latte immediately before serving.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Yes this sounds AMAZING! it's almost 9 pm here and I want this lol
thanks for sharing
xo

Unknown said...

MMMMMMMMMMMM Chai is nummy. I avoid too much of it since it's calorically evil.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs