Wednesday, January 25, 2012

French Market Stew

I keep checking my recipe archives to see if I have shared this soup recipe with you.  

I can't believe it's not there.

I received a bag of dry beans and this recipe from a lady that went to my church in college.  The year I graduated, there were four of us girls from the church who were getting married that summer, so the church hosted a shower for all of us.  The ladies of the church (and the college girls) filled a laundry basket full of wonderful recipes and kitchen utensils for each one of us.  (I still have the laundry basket too!)  

This recipe has proved to be a family favorite...I make it at least twice a month throughout the winter months...and it makes such a large quantity that you can either freeze half for another meal, or eat soup for lunch all week.  It is excellent with fresh bread and a salad. 


French Market Stew


Bean Mix, dry (any brand with 12-15 bean varieties is fine)
2 Tbsp. salt
4 hamhocks
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. thyme
1 quart canned whole tomatoes
7-8 chicken thighs
2 large onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 lb. smoked sausage, cooked and sliced bite-sized

1. Wash bean mix and drain. Place beans in a 5 quart dutch oven and cover with water and 2 Tbsp. salt. Soak overnight.


2. Drain and add 3 quarts of water, hamhocks, bay leaves, and thyme.  Simmer covered for 3 hours.

3. Add tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, sauce, and red pepper flakes.  Simmer 90 minutes uncovered.

4. Add chicken and sausage. Simmer until chicken is tender, 30-40 minutes.

What is your favorite winter soup?

1 comment:

Tara LeClaire said...

The food looks great, but what really caught my eye was that mug!!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs