Ever a collector of recipes, I am always on the lookout for a good one-dish meal.
If you've seen the July issue of Southern Living, you're in for a treat, as they've featured several different takes on main dish potato salads.
I have never been a fan of regular ol' potato salad, but these recipes have changed my perspective of what potato salad *should* look like. I made the Steak & Blue Cheese Potato Salad (with a few of my own tweaks) earlier this week, and it was a hit.
I think it would be perfect for the grill on the 4th of July next week!
Steak & Blue Cheese Potato Salad
1 lb. asparagus
1.5 lbs. baby yellow potatoes, halved
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1.5 lb. flank steak
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 red bell peppers, cut into fourths
1 red onion, cut in 8 wedges
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp coarse grained mustard
1 tsp lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp salt
4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
1. Preheat grill to 350-400 degrees, medium high heat.
2. Cut off tough ends of asparagus. Place potatoes in a single layer in the center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. If you don't have heavy-duty on hand, make a double layer of foil. Drizzle 2 Tbsp olive oil over the potatoes. Fold foil over and seal at top and sides, to create a packet. Sprinkle steak with pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
3. Grill steak and potatoes at the same time, covered, for 7-8 minutes on each side, until meat reaches desired temperature and potatoes are fork-tender. Grill the other vegetables in a grill basket for 4-5 minutes. Let all stand at room temperature for 10 minutes when done.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, lemon zest & juice, garlic clove, and salt.
5. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Cut asparagus in half and red peppers into strips.
6. Toss steak, potatoes, and grilled veggies together in a large serving bowl with the vinegar dressing. Top with blue cheese and serve immediately.
We enjoyed the leftovers for lunches the following two days...it still tastes great, although it's not quite as pretty!