Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Painting Party

It's October. Which in our home, means it's Birthday Month.

So we began a little bit early with a party for Hadleigh today. (Her birthday is this next week.)

We decided on a Painting Party, since Hadleigh just loves artsy, crafty projects. (In fact, she--in true Hadleigh form--asked me if we could paint outside. My outdoorsy girl. But given the steady Oklahoma wind, we opted to stay inside!)

The invitations.
The birthday girl experimenting with acrylics and canvas. (Each girl got a pink palette to use and take home. I got all our materials from Hobby Lobby.)

And then watercolors. She ended up with a very abstract painting full of gorgeous fall colors!

The cake. Hadleigh told me to surprise her, as long as there was a little pink frosting, which I achieved in the splotch of paint as well as in between the cake layers!

And my ever-bashful birthday girl. We've learned that the focused attention of singing "Happy Birthday" is too much for our girl. So instead, we just say "Happy Birthday" and then she blows out the candles. Even that was a bit much this year...but she did blow out her candles, one by one...and with a little help from me.

8 comments:

Jeremy and Melissa said...

Precious! I love the theme - from the invitations to the cake - you are so creative (which, of course, I already knew). Looks like you guys had a great day. Have a fun birthday month! :)

Meliss

Anonymous said...

I love the cake! It's so cute!

Ella said...

happy birthday to hadleigh!! what a fun idea for a party!! loved the invitations and the cake...so creative, kimber-leigh!! :) so glad she had a fun day.

Lori said...

Cute party! What great ideas you have- I might need to borrow that one someday! Happy Birthday Hadleigh!

Angela W said...

Awesome idea for a party! Everything looked great too! Where in OK do you live? I also live in OK!

Wendy said...

Happy Birthday Hadleigh! Time flies doesn't it Kimber-Leigh. Syd is having a crafty critter party (painting as well)for her birthday in a few weeks...and Cara is also really shy too.....

Shawna said...

love it, love it, love it.

did you make that cake? it's darling!

sarah corbin said...

yeah, i want to know how you made that cake! yummm!

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs