Growing up in my family, Friday night was Family Pizza and a Movie night. We would order pizza (the thicker the crust, the better) and settle in for a movie and time together.
A few Christmases ago, Brent received Peter Reinhart's American Pie, which chronicles his search for the perfect pizza and includes many of his recipes.
With that gift, I gained a personal pizza chef! We now enjoy small thin crusted pizzas, with fresh and unique flavor combinations. We have several favorites from the cookbook...and also like to try our hand at creating our own.
Brent usually uses this recipe for the pizza dough (also found in the cookbook) and from there, our options are endless!
Last weekend, I set out to reinterpret one of my favorite summer dishes, Caprese Salad, on a pizza. And while probably not completely unique or original...it was delicious!
mozzarella di bufala, sliced in about 1/2 inch thick rounds
1-2 campari tomatoes, sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds
7-8 medium sized basil leaves, torn
1/2 tsp olive oil
balsamic glaze (I use Monari Federzoni Glaze with Balsamic Vinegar of Modena but you could make your own too!)
1-2 tsp good-quality aged Parmesan cheese, grated
semolina flour for dusting
1. Prepare pizza dough according to your favorite recipe.
2. Preheat oven to 550 degrees.
3. On a pizza peel, place a square of parchment paper and sprinkle it lightly with semolina flour. Place prepared pizza dough on the parchment.
4. Gently drizzle olive oil over dough and spread with the back of a spoon or pastry brush.
5. Place mozzarella discs evenly on top of dough, followed by tomato slices. Scatter half of the basil leaves on top and then drizzle with balsamic glaze.
7. Allow pizza to cool slightly and then top with remaining basil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Slice, serve, and enjoy!