Thursday, February 04, 2010

Reading.

I finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society recently. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Looked forward to settling into bed and reading it. One of those books that makes me a little bit sad as I near the end, knowing that soon, the story will be over.

Here's what's currently on my nightstand:
A precious friend gave me Stepping Heavenward for my birthday...and I'm just about done with it. Slowing down a bit towards the end...taking it all in slowly. I know it's one I will read again and again.

Won't Let You Go Unless You Bless Me is a collection of essays written by Andree Seu. She writes my favorite column in World Magazine. Anyway, I bought this for Brent a while back and am just beginning to read it for myself.

A friend let me borrow Supper of the Lamb. I am only two chapters into it...and loving every word. It's a cookbook, of sorts, written by an Episcopalian minister who is also a lover of food and cooking. Fascinating so far. I'm definitely going to have to get my own copy.

Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon has been my devotional reading for the past couple years. I have the version based on the ESV translation.

And waiting in the wings is Resistance by Anita Shreve. I just participated in a book swap this week and brought it home. Love book swaps.

Speaking of reading, this young lady just read her first book ALL by herself this week! So excited!
So what books are you reading? I love adding to my "recommended reads" list!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Those books all sound like must-reads for me. I'm taking an easy, lighthearted break and reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels. (: On book #4.

lisa truesdell said...

YAY to your girlie for reading a book on her own! i've been slacking on my own reading lately, but i love goodreads.com for finding new books and seeing what my friends are reading. my profile is here : http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1184451

Meredith and Thad said...

I just finished reading Roy Williams autobiography, Hard Work, and before that Saving Graces by Elizabeth Edwards. I've been on an autobiography kick lately. Next on my list Firefly Lane recommended on another blog. Wish I liked to read this much when I was in school!

Ella said...

I read Stepping Heavenward in college and it immediately became a favorite! I haven't read it recently but would love to, so I'm glad you mentioned it. And we bought Spurgeon's Morning and Evening while we were on our honeymoon in Canada, and it has been one of my favorite devotions as well!! Right now I'm reading Jerry Bridges' The Gospel for Real Life because I need to be reminded of the gospel DAILY!! Another favorite of mine is Shepherding a Child's Heart, which I really need to pick up again.

And way to go Hadleigh for reading!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooooooo proud of Hadleigh! I can't wait for her to read to me! I hope your cold is better and that you get some needed rest! I love you, mom

Hilary said...

I read Stepping Heavenward in college too...I thought it was Robin that had recommended it to me, but she just read it for the first time...when I first saw it on your list, I thought maybe it was you...but is this your first time? Maybe it was Allison. I need to pick it up again. My bedside table has...To Be Told by Dan Allender, The Associate by John Grisham, Julia Childs' biography, and Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright...and two ESV Bibles (good choice, my friend...we love that translation).

sarah corbin said...

Kimber, I'm just catching up on your blog and I loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! My mom gave it to me for Christmas. At first I was a little skeptical b/c she's never recommended a book before but once i started reading I loved it.
I'm reading How People Change by Timothy Lane and Paul David Tripp, Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice (again), and my new camera's manual.
By the way, my sisters and I have started a blog (but we're not very good at posting yet). It's rathbonesisters.blogspot.com in case you want to see.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs