Crepes are a fairly normal breakfast option for our family on the weekends. Brent (once again) is the crepe-maker of our family.
For Mother's Day though, he went a little above our regular crepe recipe and fruit sauce to make these...and they were delicious. I think the strawberry sauce (from step 4) is the extra special step here, as well as the fresh mint from our garden...I'll admit that I cleaned my plate, as did the rest of those sitting at our table.
And how gorgeous would these be for the 4th of July? I'm thinking of renaming them Red, White, & Blue Crepes!
Strawberry & Blueberry Crepes
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup cold milk
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
1 cup fresh strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
2.5 cups lightly sweetened hulled strawberries and blueberries
whipped cream and fresh mint leaves for garnish
1. Process the water, milk, eggs, flour, salt, and melted butter in a blender until smooth. Chill for 2-3 hours.
2. Heat a lightly oiled skillet or crepe pan. Pour 3-4 tablespoons of batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to form a 6-inch crepe. Cook until light brown on the bottom and then remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
3. Beat the cream cheese, sour cream, and confectioners sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Crush 1 cup strawberries with the 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
5. Spoon 3-4 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture onto each crepe. Roll up and place seam side down in a baking pan. Bake the filled crepes at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
6. To assemble, place 2 crepes on each plate. Spoon strawberry mixture over the crepes. Then sprinkle generously (about 1/2 cup each) with the strawberries and blueberries. Top with whipped cream and garnish with mint.