Monday, July 09, 2012

Day 9: Summer Surprise


I thought today's surprise would be finding a desk for Hadleigh. But the timing didn't work out (and we'll get it tomorrow.)

Today, we arrived home from our week in Asheville.  It had been a long day on the road.  We unloaded the car, and I took off to get some essential groceries and a redbox rental to unwind.


It was as I was backing out of the driveway when I stopped and took this picture.  I realized that returning to Virginia today felt a bit like coming "home" for the first time. And it surprised me.

A few months ago, Madeleine and I went to New York to visit a dear friend.  The night before we left, while trying to fall asleep, I remember thinking about returning home...what needed to be done, etc.  The first image in my mind was entering through my laundry room, setting my purse on our mudroom bench, and walking into my beautiful red kitchen...back in Oklahoma. I remember tears filling my eyes when I realized that wasn't home anymore.  And yet, returning to a house we'd lived in for less than three weeks didn't feel like home either.

I felt that same pain about "heading home" while in Asheville when I thought about the end of our vacation.

So it was indeed a pleasant and joyful surprise to find this new place beginning to be home.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Ha! I think it was just that any place seems like a better place after your trip here in an apt with sick kids and a sick mom and a newborn ... LOL.

Kind of kidding. Love the house and so thankful that you are enjoying your time there and feeling more settled. :)

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs