Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 17 of 31: In the Kitchen


It's somewhat of a tradition to share recipes here on Wednesdays...and the one I'm sharing today is one that our whole family enjoys.

When we first moved to Virginia, Brent gave me a wonderful gift...he cooked and did almost all of the grocery shopping during our first weeks here, giving me an opportunity to unpack and organize and start to feel settled in our new kitchen.

And that was such a blessing. I love that we both enjoy cooking so much. But I also realized that for me, part of feeling at home is me being in the kitchen, cooking.

I love serving the unexpected, to both my family and to company. You can probably bet that you'll be a guinea pig when seated around my table...I love to try new dishes when we have guests. (And I promise that I've learned the art of being a discriminating recipe curator!)

Using an unexpected, unusual, or unique ingredient is one of my favorite ways to cook. It surprises guests, inspires me creatively, and usually adds a bit of fun to the meal. Towards the end of the summer (and still), I have been enjoying figs.


Previously, my fig experience had included Fig Newtons. And I wasn't a big fan of those.

But figs are delicious...tender, sweet, and colorful.

This recipe for flank steak with a fig salsa is delicious, found in one of my favorite sources for recipes Southern Living. Despite the quick and easy preparation, the meal is full of flavor and impressive. I hope you'll try it during these last few "grilling" evenings that we have.


Rosemary Flank Steak with Fig Salsa

1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 flank steak, about 1 1/4 lb.
3 cups chopped fresh figs (I use 6-8 figs)
1 green onion, minced
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
3 oz. Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

1. Stir together in a small bowl the rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Rub this over both sides of the flank steak. Cover and chill 30 minutes up to 4 hours.

2. Preheat grill to between 400 and 450 degrees (high heat). Toss together the figs, onion, parsley, vinegar, and the remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Grill steak, covered with grill lid, 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Let stand for 5 minutes.

4. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Arrange the steak on a serving platter. Spoon fig salsa over the steak and sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese.

Enjoy!


~This is Day 17 of 31 Days. You can find all posts in the series here 31 Days of Making this House our Home.

No comments:

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs