Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 21 of 31: The Surprises


Since the summer of 2011, I started saying goodbye to Oklahoma. 

I knew that we had a year or less left. Oklahoma had surprised me with the things that I loved. Things that I miss. I knew I needed to pause and see, at least once more, and take in those beloved gifts.

The evening horizon bathed in color. 

The friendships.

Small town life.

The immense blue sky, almost identical to the Texas sky. ;)

The dark midnight, far from the lights of cities, full of stars and planets.

And the geese. All year long, we had geese. It was new to me. 

I loved hearing the call overhead. Seeing their beautiful form overhead. And in February, every February, they spent a day or two in the field right behind our house.


So this late summer and fall, it has been such a pleasant surprise to hear the geese again...to see them as they fly across the treeline behind our house. To hear their sound before their forms are visible.

Their call across a still morning, silhouetted by the sunrise, will remain a special Virginia memory to me.

What happy surprises have greeted you in a new place and made you feel at home?


~This is Day 21 of 31 Days. You can find all posts in the series here 31 Days of Making this House our Home.

No comments:

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs