Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Day 2 of 31: Sheets


Over the weekend, I bought new sheets for our bed.

Not because we are in need of new sheets...but because I do better changing the sheets when there's a spare ready to go on.  I don't like beds unmade all day. And the guest room in this house acquired our spare set of queen-size sheets. And my children like changing sheets because they make nests in the warm linens. But I digress...


Armed with my 20% coupon, I felt an example of each set of sheets that Bed, Bath, & Beyond sold. And then I chose one...softer and silkier than the least expensive options but not so luxurious that I was paying an arm and a leg for spare sheets.

As I changed the sheets yesterday, I couldn't help but notice that even though my new sheets are soft and smooth and subtly striped, they were not as perfect as the old ones.

I recalled, as I smoothed the new flat sheet, the slumber parties growing up at my best friend Emily's house. There was a set of sheets that she loved. I think they were floral, but they were old and so very soft.  Old and comfortable and familiar.


I know another little girl who loves her sheets...and it's no wonder why...they were my college sheets and the only ones she has known since she was two. Worn. Soft. Hers.

I knew, as I put the pillows in the new cases, that despite the thread count or the fact that they were freshly laundered, these sheets wouldn't feel quite right just now.

Just like our "old" sheets when they were new, these would take time to feel just right.

Change takes time.

Even when the change is good and exciting...and maybe even exactly what you've been hoping for.

Change takes time.

And a new house in a new place takes time. Friends take time. (Unless you're four.) Comfort takes time. Nesting takes time.

But it's worth the effort. And the willingness to embrace something new.

Just like breaking in a baseball glove or a great pair of shoes.

Or even spare sheets.

~This is Day 2. You can find all posts in the series here 31 Days of Making this House our Home.

3 comments:

ohiofarmgirl said...

Change takes time and it takes a lot of work too! Especially if we are heading in the right direction! Dianntha

Unknown said...

"Friends take time, unless you are 4." Yes, this is so true. I have lived in our "new" home for 14 months now. Although I do know some people - finally - I do not yet have true friends. Yet. It takes time. At least two years. Hopefully we will live here for at least three years.

Thanks for the reminder that "Change takes time....But it's worth the effort." Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing. I do agree that nothing feels like your old, worn sheets.

 

© 2011. All Rights Reserved. | Prefab Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs